This is the page about us – theGIST team. We are always more than happy to answer your questions, so don’t be shy. For general enquiries, please contact [email protected]
HEAD OF STRATHCLYDE/EDITOR-IN-CHIEF: Deep Bandivadekar
– Doing PhD in Aerospace Engineering at the University of Strathclyde and is crazy about rockets, reentry vehicles and outer space
– Main point of contact for University of Strathclyde.
– Loves everything science and technology, and enjoys writing about it.
HEAD OF GLASGOW/EDITOR-IN-CHIEF: Siobhan McGeechan
– A 4th year Anatomy student at the University of Glasgow who is passionate about public engagement and science communication.
– Manages feature submissions and the editing process.
– Spends her time swimming, reading dystopian novels, and being harassed by her two very naughty cats. [email protected]
SUBMISSIONS EDITOR: Becca Budgett
– A a second year Molecular Pharmacology PhD student at the University of Glasgow looking at drug targets for neurodegenerative diseases.
– Manages the article submissions process.
– Outside of the lab, Becca loves doing anything outdoorsy, especially hiking and playing lacrosse, and is known for eating a lot of doughnuts.
DEPUTY SUBMISSIONS EDITOR: Holly Leslie
– Works as a Lab Technician at the University of Glasgow and is interested in the impact of pre-surgical chemotherapy on the survival of patients with pancreatic cancer.
– Supports the Submissions Editor in managing the article submissions process.
– She has recently picked up sewing and enjoys getting out running. Otherwise, you’ll find her in one of Glasgow’s independant cafes with her third flat white – before she says “that’s it, I’m giving up coffee for good!”
SNIPPETS EDITOR: Frankie MacPherson
– 4th year Chemistry with Medicinal Chem MSci student, currently in Lyon for a placement year.
– Handles snippet submissions and editing.
– Frankie loves music, writing, and reading, as well as travelling and exploring new cities and cultures.
DEPUTY SNIPPETS EDITOR: Alex Brumwell
– Zoology undergrad student at the University of Glasgow.
– Assists in snippet editing and submissions.
– Alex is one of those people who embraces the stereotypes of her degree: animal-obsessed and science-obsessed with just a tad of awkward nerdiness.
HEAD OF COPY-EDITING: Dzachary Zainudden
– A Microbiology Honours graduate from the University of Glasgow specialising in virology.
– Oversees and delegates copy-editing.
– Dzachary is an avid enthusiast of fantasy; he can be found rolling dice and role-playing characters in Dungeons & Dragons, and reading Marie Brennan’s ‘Memoirs of Lady Trent’ book series.
DEPUTY HEAD OF COPY-EDITING: Richard Murchie
– A theoretical physics PhD student at the University of Strathclyde developing a practical quantum LIDAR protocol.
– Assists the Head of Copy-editing with management of feature editing and delegation.
– Only gets a good night’s sleep up a hill in a bivvy bag.
HEAD OF MULTIMEDIA: Tariq Mir
– Undergraduate Physics & Maths @ University of Strathclyde
– Responsible for recording podcasts, organisation, and filming and editing videos of events
– Science should be fun and exciting like finding nuggets of gold in a stream
HEAD OF EVENTS & FINANCE: Miriam Scarpa
– Translational Pharmacology PhD student at the University of Glasgow, investigating drug targets for Alzheimer’s disease
– Sources and deals with funding for events, activities, and the magazine.
– Miriam will always have a to-do-list on hand for her day, besides, she loves dancing and Netflixing (sometimes at the same time!). And yeah, she’s obsessed with her cats Shadow and Sansa Stark.
[email protected] and [email protected]
SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGER: Nina Kratky
– Nina is a fourth year Human Biology and Nutrition student at the University of Glasgow with a love of all things food and science.
HEAD OF DESIGN: Kilian Kleemann
– 4th year Molecular and Cellular Biology student at the University of Glasgow.
– Responsible for poster and magazine layout, and designing promotional materials for social media.
– Kilian is excited to share the great variety of insights into science and technology from and for our community with engaging designs.
DEPUTY HEAD OF DESIGN: Emma Garcia-Melchor
– Postdoctoral researcher at the University of Glasgow trying to understand what causes joint inflammation.
– Assists the head with layout and design of the magazine, posters and promotional materials.
– Passionate about science, art and design, her dream would be to illustrate children’s books.
HEAD OF WEB: Ross Laidlaw
– Bioinformatics and T. brucei PhD student at the University of Glasgow.
– Manages the website, server, email, and related submissions processes/pages.
– Massive film nerd who genuinely finds election night exciting, likes to think he can play the keyboard, and has an unhealthy penchant for Tesco’s 79p salt and vinegar crisps.