This is the page about us – theGIST team. We are always more than happy to answer your questions, so don’t be shy. For general enquiries, please contact
HEAD OF STRATHCLYDE/EDITOR-IN-CHIEF: Katrina Wesencraft
– Working on her PhD in optical medical imaging and healthcare innovation.
– Main point of contact for University of Strathclyde.
– Has an unhealthy cheese obsession.
HEAD OF GLASGOW/EDITOR-IN-CHIEF: Sonya Frazier
– A PhD student at the Institute of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences at the University of Glasgow.
– Main point of contact for University of Glasgow.
– Besides all kinds of science stuff, Sonya loves to travel.
SUBMISSIONS EDITOR: Kirstin Leslie
– A Public Health and Precision Medicine PhD student at the University of Glasgow.
– Manages feature submissions and the editing process.
– Spends her days telling people she is going to ‘eat less sugar’ and then proceeds to have cheesecake for breakfast, reading, surfing twitter, practicing yoga, and going out for dinner.
DEPUTY SUBMISSIONS EDITOR: Ailish McCafferty
– A 3rd year Immunology student at the University of Glasgow.
– Supports the Submissions Editor in managing the article submissions process.
– Spends her spare time exploring all the eateries Glasgow has to offer and trying to fit in cinema trips to see as many films as she can; from the good to the absolutely terrible, she doesn’t discriminate.
SNIPPETS EDITOR: Frankie MacPherson
– 4th year Chemistry with Medicinal Chem MSci student, currently in Lyon for a placement year.
– Handles all snippet submissions and editing.
– Frankie loves music, writing, and reading, as well as travelling and exploring new cities and cultures.
HEAD OF COPY-EDITING: Gemma Donnelly
– A Neuroscience & Psychology PhD student at the University of Glasgow.
– Oversees and delegates copy-editing.
DEPUTY HEAD OF COPY-EDITING: Audrey Gillies
– In the final stages of completing an MPhil Medical Devices, Audrey is an MPhys graduate, part-time bar goth at Cathouse Rock Club and full time cat lady.
– Assists the Head of Copy-editing with management of feature editing and delegation.
– Audrey also loves language and storytelling so much she has been learning German for 3 years and hopes to be fluent one day.
HEAD OF MULTIMEDIA: Iona Macwhirter-Harley
– A Politics & Religious Studies undergrad student at the University of Glasgow.
– Responsible for video and podcast production.
– Very confused about how she ended up here but incredibly happy to come along for the ride. Childhood idols include Britney Spears and Dr Bunhead.
HEAD OF EVENTS & FINANCE: Miriam Scarpa
– Translational Pharmacology PhD student at the University of Glasgow, investigating drug targets for Alzheimer’s disease
– Sources and deals with funding for events, activities, and the magazine.
– Miriam will always have a to-do-list on hand for her day, besides, she loves dancing and Netflixing (sometimes at the same time!). And yeah, she’s obsessed with her cats Shadow and Sansa Stark.
[email protected] and [email protected]
HEAD OF SOCIAL MEDIA: Emily May Armstrong
– 3rd year PhD student at the University of Glasgow, specialising in plants and epigenetics.
– Responsible for theGIST communication via Newsletters, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, & Instagram.
– A failed skateboarder, pretty good photographer, mediocre guitar player, excellent house-plant mother, vegan experimentalist, disability rights activist.
SOCIAL MEDIA DEPUTY: Luke Prentice
– EEE Undergrad at the University of Strathclyde, hoping to specialise in either Microfluidic Systems or Renewable Energy
– Assists the head with theGIST communication via Newsletters, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, & Instagram.
HEAD OF DESIGN: Ola Kacprzyńska
– Currently an undergraduate studying Digital Media and Information Studies at University of Glasgow.
– Responsible for poster and magazine layout, and designing promotional materials for social media.
– Ola is obsessed with dogs, interested in various sports, loves travelling and bakes whenever she’s stressed.
DEPUTY HEAD OF DESIGN: Roxanna Munir
– Currently a PhD student at Glasgow Caledonian University investigating novel therapeutic targets for the treatment of Spinal Muscular Atrophy.
– Assists the head with layout and design of the magazine, posters and promotional materials.
– Roxanna has four main passions in life: science, art, rap, puns and cats. She is also bad at maths.
HEAD OF WEB: Ross Laidlaw
– Undergraduate Immunology student at the University of Glasgow.
– Manages the website, server, email, and related submissions processes/pages.
– Massive film nerd who genuinely finds election night exciting, likes to think he can play the keyboard, and has an unhealthy penchant for Tesco’s 79p salt and vinegar crisps.